Conveniently located in the Town of Banff, just steps away from the glacier-fed Bow River, Banff Park Lodge is a full-service Resort Hotel and Conference Centre. Here we experience the best of both worlds: the peace and solitude of a quiet location, yet quick access to a livelier scene in downtown Banff. The Banff Park Lodge has two sister properties; the Bow View Lodge and the Homestead Inn.
We are currently seeking a full-time permanent Sous Chef, required to work day shifts, evening shifts, weekends and holidays with opportunities for overtime hours.
The Sous-Chef is reporting to the Executive Chef and Executive Sous-chef with a strong line of communication to the Food and Beverage Manager and the General Manager. In the absence of the Executive Chef and Executive Sous- Chef the incumbent is responsible for the daily operation and supervision of all kitchen and stewarding employees including disciplinary action.
During the Sous-Chef’s shift he/she is responsible for managing up to 15 kitchen and stewarding staff.
Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Primary responsibilities;
- Assisting in creating a positive work environment to ensure all kitchen staffs focus is towards meeting or exceeding all guests needs and expectations.\
- Assisting in operating the kitchen in an efficient and financially responsible matter.
- Being knowledgeable in all the hotels operating policies and procedures.
- Must show excellent productivity, creativity and planning abilities.
- Shows well developed communication and interpersonal skills and be pro-active in staff development through training to maintain efficient and professional staff.
- Making sure all jobs and activities are done using the environmental guidelines stated in the employee handbook.
- Assists the Executive Chef and Executive Sous-Chef in maximizing profit and minimize expenses by managing staff and being aware of food and labour cost budgets.
- The Crave Sous-Chef must be flexible and able to work weekends, holidays and nights when necessary. Being in a salaried position, additional hours will be required and is a part of the overall compensation package. If a statuary holiday is worked, a lieu day can be taken at a later time.
- Ensuring elegant and professional presentation and taste of food according to hotel standards
- Responding to special needs including last minute notifications by guest of allergies
- Prompt timeliness of food preparation
- Assisting in inventory at the end of each month whenever required
- Making sure that all recipes and standards are always into place and up to date for all Crave menu items
- Financial Responsibilities;
- Assisting the Executive Chef in maximizing revenue and minimizing costs by reviewing menus and pricing regularly.
- Keeping overtime demands to a minimum.
- Making sure that food waste stays to a minimum by discussing and reviewing production levels with the line cooks
- Safety and security;
- The Crave Sous-Chef must be familiar with all hotel safety, security, and emergency regulations and procedures.
- Ensuring that all equipment is in good working condition and safety guards are in place.
- Train all kitchen personnel in how to use equipment in a safe and proper manner.
- Communicating all safety hazards and broken equipment to the Executive Chef or Executive Sous-Chef and all other personnel.
- Making sure that all Alberta Health regulations are always followed.
- Report all inappropriate handling of equipment to the Executive Chef or Executive Sous-Chef and correct where ever necessary.
- Engaging all kitchen staff in reporting any potential safety hazards.
- Productivity and Planning;
- Reviewing the number of bookings and hotels occupancy at the beginning of each shift
- Assisting the Executive Chef and Executive Sous- Chef in reviewing meal reports and change planning if necessary.
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills;
- The Crave Sous Chef is required to “lead by example” and has to offer any assistance needed to ensure exceptional service.
- Must maintain a good working relationship with all other staff and departments and making sure that proper communication is maintained between all departments.
- Assisting the Executive Chef in creating a work environment where all staff feels comfortable discussing/addressing their personal or work-related concerns.
- The Crave Sous-Chef should make himself aware of what is happening in the front of house at the beginning of each shift. Communicating with outlet and catering manager and address any questions or concerns that may have arise before the beginning of his/her shift.
- Staff Development;
- Ensuring that all Line staff are properly trained, well motivated and feel supported at all times.
- Do whatever is needed to create a positive and productive team atmosphere and thereby controlling and reducing staff turnover.
- Be able to recognize and reward positive achievements.
- Making sure all kitchen staff feels valued and appreciated and feels comfortable on the work floor.
- The Crave Sous-Chef has the authority to discipline any kitchen employee if this is required.
- Culinary education certificate from a recognized educational institution
- Alberta Food Safe Certificate
- Minimum of 2-3 years a la carte experience in a supervising position preferably in a hotel environment
- Excellent knowledge of menu planning and food cost control
- Ability to effectively manage labor cost and productivity
- Maintaining a professional appearance according to hotel standards at all time
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be guest oriented with effective decision making and strong problem-solving skills
- Must be able to self-motivate as well as to motivate others
- Eager to teach and coach all team members
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds on occasion and up to 30 pounds regularly
- Must be able to work legally in Canada
- HACCP Certificate preferred
- Staff accommodation is guaranteed with an immediate check-in
- Friends and family rates available at all three properties,
F&B discounts at The Chinook Restaurant and Terrace Dining Room & Lounge
- Health benefits available immediately including life insurance, dental, medical and drug coverage
- Staff Cafe on site, meal plan available
- Ski Pass discount and subsidy available; payroll deduction optional
- Education reimbursement for English as a Second Language Course
- Payroll deduction available for a local gym membership
- Monthly staff events hosted by our very own Social Committee including a Holiday Party, Ski/Snowboard day at Lake Louise Ski Resort, NHL Hockey Game & more
- Uniforms supplied and free cleaning available
- Living in beautiful Banff National Park!
For those interested in this opportunity, please forward a copy of your resume to the email provided, in-person at 222 Lynx Street, by fax to (403) 762-4740 or online at www.banffparklodge.com. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in our company!!